1-Year FAQs

What is covered in the 1-year Thai Language and Cultural Studies course?

The main focus for the course is developing fluency and accuracy using the Thai language. The contents of the course will cover many different aspects regarding everyday life. We will use vocabulary and language which is applicable in everyday Thai society. This courses also has a Thai culture component, and we will look at Buddhism, history, music, literature as well as food and art. To help students understand about Thai culture, we will try to use as much activity based exercises to help reinforce learning.

How often do the courses begin?

Our courses start at the beginning of each month. Please check the schedule section for further information. We also offer private group booking for more than 5 students, please contact a member of staff for further information.

Is this course approved by Chiang Mai University?

Yes, this program has been approved by the Board of Language Institute Chiang Mai University, precided by the Chairman of the Board and Vice President of International Relations and Alumni Affairs. The 1-year Thai Language Certificate is now fully authorized to be administered exclusively at Language Institute Chiang Mai University. All students who enrol will be a student of the university will full privileges - including use of swimming pool and fitness centre (terms and conditions apply).

What are the times and days of classes?

Class will only be held Monday to Friday either (morning session - 09.00 to 12.00, afternoon session 13.00 to 16.00 or evening session 16.00 to 19.00). We do not offer weekend programs. For those who are interested in learning Thai privately, please contact a member of staff at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. 

How much is the cost of the program?

The total cost of the 1-year Thai Language and Culture Certificate program is 35,000 Thai Baht. This includes all material costs. The cost of the 15-day Thai Language course is 6,000 Thai Baht (inclusive of all tuition fees and materials).

Will we study reading and writing in the 1-year Thai Language and Culture course

Yes, the 1-year Thai Language and Culture course includes reading and writing.

I am interested in enrolling for the course, what is the first step I need to take>

The first step is to fill out the online student enrollment form, we will then email you back with further information.

Is there a dress code?

Yes, the culture of Thailand is quite conservative and this is reflected in the dress code at LICMU. All trainees are required to dress smart casual, for men this means long trousers (smart jeans are acceptable) and a collared shirt (polo shirt is acceptable) and a blouse and skirt or smart trouser (jeans acceptable) for women.

When do I need to pay for the course?

We require 50% deposit upon application and the remaining balance can be paid on the first day of class. Once you have paid your tuition fees, you will be eligible for visa support.

How many people will be on the course?

The course has a minimum of 8 people with a maximum number of 15 people.

What is an ED visa?

An ED visa is a Non Immigrant Education visa that allows a visitor to the Kingdom of Thailand to remain in the country while they are studying

Do I need an ED visa to study?

No, if you already have another visa, you may still enrol in the 1-year Thai Language and Culture Certificate course.

What are the visa fees?

The cost for a single entry Non Immigrant ED visa is 1,900 Baht for those who wish to take a multiple entry visa, additional fees will apply. For this course, a student will need to make at least four application to obtain their full 12 months non immigrant ED visa. The first application will allow them to stay in the Kingdom of Thailand for 3 months. Once a student successfully meets all the course requirements, LICMU will process an additional 3 support documentations for the remaining nine months.

Once the tuition fees have been, how long will it take to get the ED visa?

After receiving your deposit, it will take between 5 and 10 working days to process your paperwork, depending on the number of international student applications which the International Relations Division at Chiang Mai University has to process. Afterwards, you are free to visit a Thai Embassy or consulate within the country. For those of you applying outside the country, we will require an additional 5-10 working days to courier the relevant documents to your address. After that it will depend on the processing time of your in country's Thai Embassy/Consulate.

What if the Thai Embassy/Consulate rejects my visa application?

In the highly unlikely event that the Embassy rejects your application, Language Institute Chiang Mai University will provide a full refund minus a 7,500 Baht processing and administrative fee.

Can I change a Non-B, Non-O or Tourist Visa into an ED visa without leaving Thailand?

Yes, if you have a Non-O or Non-B with more than 21 days left on your visa before it expires, then we have time to prepare your documents for the conversion of your visa status. You may then proceed to the local immigration office in Bangkok. Please note, the immigration authority in Chiang Mai do not have the authority to change the category of the visa. However, if you are the holder of a tourist visa we recommend you apply at an Embassy outside the country.

Are there any age limits on the ED visa?

Yes, you must be at least 12 years old. Effective 31st March 2015, we can no longer accept students over the age of 55 years old as per the regulations for the issuance of Non Immigrant Education visas as stipulated by Chiang Mai Immigration for the Chiang Mai University 1-Year Certificate in Thai Language Program. 

Do I need to be able to speak English to enrol for the course?

Our course is designed to meet the needs of any non native speakers of Thai. For the general 1-year program, a student should have a conversational comprehension of the language as the medium language which the course will be taught in is English. 

Can I put my spouse on my ED visa?

No, spouses are not allowed on the ED visa.

Are the classes on Chiang Mai University campus?

Yes, all the classes will be held at the Language Institute's facility on Chiang Mai University's main campus